The Rich Effect Revitalizing Cream is another Hanyul product that I got the same time as the Optimizing Serum (read review). It claims to help to strengthen self-generating skin power, with emphasis on improving skin texture, elasticity and dryness. I’ll say it first, if I were to have a “Skincare Hall of Fame” this would be right at the top with Estée Lauder ANR. If you have been other entries in this blog you’ll know that I don’t gush about products or declare holy grails, but darn, this is getting close to gushing.
Like the Optimizing Serum, information about this product in English is elusive. There are English translations of the ingredients list on Koreadepart, but I will not post them here because I’m not sure if it is complete. Partial ingredients list includes:
- Niacinamide & adenosine: well researched skincare ingredients
- Angelica root extract: traditionally used in China, Japan and Korea as a whitening agent, with research support. I’ve actually heard of people who purchases this in powder form and mix their own whitening masks
- Black bean extract: no research support
- Coix extract: seems to be a fancy name for wheat germ oil
- Apricot seed extract: aka apricot kernel oil
- The list goes on. There is a combination of well-researched and what-is-that ingredients, but of course the ingredients list is really not important if the product works.
The cream has a strong ginseng scent upon application but will dissipate within five minutes. The texture is very creamy and absorbs very nicely. It does not form a film on my skin as I had anticipated with the heavier creams. Like the ANR, I wake up in the morning with very well-rested skin. The effect is visibly better than the DHC Kakonjuka Cream (read review). While it is supposed to have anti-aging effects, I have not observe any long-term effects on the fine lines on my forehead and laugh lines (so far). That being said, it is an excellent all-rounded cream which improve the overall condition of the skin.
The only downside is that it is not as hydrating as I’d like it to be. After I shower and finish my skincare routine at night, I still have five hours of work to complete before I go to bed. By bedtime, there is an uncomfortable tightness on my forehead while wearing this. The problem is easily solved by slathering a sleep mask on the dryness prone areas before heading to bed.
I must say my interest in Korean skincare products piqued after using this, and I especially went on hunting for products containing ginseng or traditional skincare ingredients. I like this a lot, but I will not be purchasing this again anytime soon, as I am keen to try out moisturizers from Sulwhasoo, belif and Whoo.
EDIT: The sister product Hanyul Rich Effect Cream has become my HG. Read about it here.